click click click

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Ahhhh...Tuyo (Dried Salty Fish), How I've Missed You!

I finally found the courage to buy dried salty fish from the Asian market a few weeks ago. I have always been hesitant to cook this inside our 2-bedroom apartment because the smell of fried dried salty fish is hard to get rid of even if we have an exhaust system in the kitchen.

But I have missed eating Tuyo for years now. So even if my husband will complain of the smell from cooking it, I bought a pack on the day I went home early from work.

I went home early so I can finish cooking early...and hoped that by the time my Husband is home, the smell will be gone.

I succeeded going home early and finished cooking early, but failed in getting rid of the smell totally (even if I sprayed air freshener). The moment the Husband walked in he said, "Wow, Tuyo!!!!" I guess he missed eating Tuyo with that reaction of his.

It was definitely worth giving in to my craving the minute I tasted the salty, crunchy fish dipped in chopped tomatoes, together with a spoonful of steamed rice. I felt like I was in the comforts of my parent's home in the Philippines. 



 

The other half of the pack I bought, I cooked last Saturday morning and teamed it up with Champorado (Chocolate Rice Porridge). This time, we ate it for breakfast. The saltiness of the fish and the sweetness of the chocolate rice porridge is one ideal food duo for a cold winter morning.


 
It's going to be a while before I cook Tuyo again at home so I savoured every bite and enjoyed it immensely.

After this "brave" attempt at cooking Tuyo (and thankfully nailing it!), my next challenge is to cook Dilis (Anchovies). When that will be, I don't know. We'll see how long before I give to my craving.